If you are looking for a family-friendly, quick-cooked, hearty meal for this busy week, this recipe just might be what you are looking for. It was a Pinterest recipe from the summer, and we couldn’t believe how easy and yummy it was. I’m actually planning on serving this for a small family gathering later this week. You just put all of the ingredients into a 9×13 pan, pop it in the oven for 30ish minutes, set up a bar of Taco condiments, and viola ~ you have a wonderful Chicken fajata meal. (By the way… I’m not sure whether to spell this “fajatas” or “fajitas” – both seem to be correct… just in case your were wondering.) 😉
In fact, because the trimmings are the same as what we would use for tacos and (and some for taco soup), this would be a super addition to a full party menu of tacos, taco soup, loaded nachos, and fajatas.
This is the original Pinterest recipe, but because I usually cook as if I’m feeding a crowd, I adapted it to a 3 pound bag of chicken strips.
Easy Oven Chicken Fajatas
3 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
6 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 tsp chili powder
6 tsp cumin
1½ tsp garlic powder
1½ tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
3 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
2-3 medium onion, sliced
2-3 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced (I use half a green and half a red)
Toppings such as:
- Grated Cheese
- Black Beans
- Sour Cream
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa (one of my favs!)
- Salsa Refried Beans (2 cans refried beans cooked with 1 pkg. taco seasoning, & 1 cup salsa. Yum!)
- Melted Queso Cheese (We love the Kroger “Nice & Cheezy Queso Blanco with Jalapeño kind.)
1. Grease a large baking dish, and place the chicken strips in it.
2. Mix the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and salt together and drizzle over the chicken until all is coated.
3. Add the onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Stir well.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
5. Serve with tortillas and desired toppings.
Mexican buffet meal, anyone? It’s easy-peasy and crowd-pleasy!